and of course, TASTE is completely beside the point.
Gyromitra esculenta is a toxic mushroom, period. One can make it less toxic through an initial parboiling (but don’t inhale the fumes) and long cooking, but you can never remove ALL of the MMH. The Western US collections are generally regarded to have less MMH than those found in other places, but we DON’T KNOW WHY!!!
One theory (proposed in the excellant, well-researched medical guide, “Handbook of Mushroom Poisoning”) is air temps…the colder the spring, the more toxic the mushroom (sound like this year to you?). Even if your mushroom is less toxic than most, and of course you are aware that it has caused many deaths in Europe, the toxins are still accumulative and HIGHLY carcinogenic.
SOME people appear to be able to eat it with impunity: Larry Stickney was one. But the ability to eat it without serious consequences, proper preparation aside, is also due to ones genetics: whether or not they can quickly acetylize the MMH into less toxic chemical forms. Some can, some can’t.
I do not recommend this as an edible species.