Observation 10011: Dacrymyces palmatus (Schwein.) Burt
When: 2003-01-18
No herbarium specimen

Notes: Over the past 25 years, I have attempted to grow several mushroom species with the permission and assistance of Mr. Paul Bishop Sr. Some were success, and some I learned more about that I had planned… This was supposed to be an innoculation of Laetiporus sulphureus on Douglas fir stumps, created when Mr. Bishop took out a row of Douglas fir in front of his home, in preparation for a logging access road. The trees were innoculated with L.s. on the top within a month of topping the trees, and a cap of 1-2 inches was nailed over the spawn to hold it in place. Alas, there was never any fruiting of Laetiporus sulphureus. It was only later that the name Laetiporus coniferoides was coined, and I realized I had innoculated with a species inappropriate to the substrate. Nonetheless, 4 years after initial innoculation was attempted, the trees did start to fruit, but not with the species I had intended: Dacrymyces palmatus. Some rather spectacular fruitings, in my experience.

Proposed Names

Please login to propose your own names and vote on existing names.

Eye3 = Observer’s choice
Eyes3 = Current consensus

Comments

Add Comment
No one has commented yet.

Created: 2008-08-24 20:46:20 NCT (+1100)
Last modified: 2008-08-24 20:46:20 NCT (+1100)
Viewed: 54 times, last viewed: 2016-03-21 07:47:59 NCT (+1100)