Observation 102850: Russula compacta Frost & Peck
When: 2012-07-22
No herbarium specimen
0 Sequences

Notes:
most abundant mushroom in the field.

Proposed Names

92% (2)
Eye3 Eyes3
Recognized by sight: brownish cap, pale gills and stem quickly staining brown, then blackening over time.
Based on chemical features: pleasant taste; edible species.

Please login to propose your own names and vote on existing names.

Eye3 = Observer’s choice
Eyes3 = Current consensus

Comments

Add Comment
I do rememeber the problem occurred…
By: Dave W (Dave W)
2012-07-26 08:04:22 PDT (-0700)

while I watched the baseball World Series on TV. If I can possibly remember the teams, then I’ll have a date!

I have considered a few possibilities… I had eaten a lot of Russulas and Lactarii during a couple summers, maybe too many. I developed a digestive sensitivity to L. volemus, which I apparently have outgrown, as I have resumed eating this species, in moderation. Another possibility is that I had harvested some R. compacta that was a bit on the old side. The fruit bodies of this species tend to hang around for awhile, and perhaps they begin to break down without showing any obvious signs. I had considered them to be a pretty good edible, good flavor and somewhat crunchy texture.

sorry to hear it.
By: Debbie Viess (amanitarita)
2012-07-26 07:41:31 PDT (-0700)

I was surprised to hear how many folks also get sick eating cooked morels!

There are a number of russula poisonings listed in the poisoning registry, including the excellant edible R. xerampelina. What poisonings are related to “mushroom toxins” and what are poisonings related to allergic rxns. (which can develop over time and repeated exposure) or spoilage is of course unknown.

If you can remember the details and approx. date, you could report your poisoning to Michael Beug, and then it would be in the searchable records. There is a form to fill out on the NAMA webpage here:

http://www.namyco.org/toxicology/email_report_form.html

Debbie, just a note about the edibility of this one…
By: Dave W (Dave W)
2012-07-26 07:02:54 PDT (-0700)

Although listed as “edibile” in some manuals, about 15 years ago I got sick on a meal of R. compacta. I had been eating and enjoying them for two years or so.

Created: 2012-07-25 20:10:33 PDT (-0700)
Last modified: 2012-07-26 06:58:41 PDT (-0700)
Viewed: 59 times, last viewed: 2017-09-28 18:02:58 PDT (-0700)
Show Log