Cap 50.8 mm convex
Margins curving inward with very faint straitions.
Powdery veil remnants clinging to margin which quickly fell away with handling.
White when fresh, uniformly dulling to off white overnight with slight yellow tint at margin.
Gills crowded, unequal and adnexed.(possibly sinuate, inexpirience at work, here)
White in color with slight yellow staining at insect “chew” areas when fresh, dulling to off white to pale yellow near margin overnight.
Long gills-12.7 mm Short gills- 2 – 6 mm tapering
Spore print very light. Possibly white. Letting it print a while longer
Stipe 82.55mm x 6.20 mm (cap to top of bulb)
White in color, staining yellow at damaged area. Entire stem and bulb stained pale yellow overnight
White, solid center. Staining yellow with exposure
Covered in fine white powdery coating that easily fell free during handling with the exception of area just under cap. Fine white “powder” still remains but can easily be wiped off.
Powdery substance Cortina remnants?
Deep rooting bulb 38.1 mm x 12.7mm tapering toward bottom.
Growing singularly in a prominantly Birch tree area
|User’s votes are weighted by their contribution to the site (log10 contribution). In addition, the user who created the observation gets an extra vote.|
|I’d Call It That||3.0||0.00||0|
sum(score * weight) /
(total weight + 1)
I found one of the photos I was massing of the bulbs. Its not the best but its enough to get an idea. And no, it was not a PERFECT bulb extraction. But what broke off really did not amount to much. I retrieved the rest but it was a small fraction that my knife accidentally clipped.
Hold on, let me double check something…
lady was way, way, way down in the ground.
I learned early and quickly that bulbs can be an important key in proper identification. I use a pocket knife now to cut a circle in the soil around the specimen then carefully extract it almost in the same manner as you would a sapling tree. I am aware that this may be detrimental to the mycelium but I suppose sometimes sacrifices have to be made for a greater cause. This method works for me the majority of the time but there are exceptions, such as the specimen you pointed out yesterday. That one was extra deep and long. I documented all the info I could on the bulbs, but the photos are mysteriously missing. I still have the cross cut section the bulb if you would like to see it. I can photograph it again if needed. Though, the incandescent lighting in my home do my photos no justice at all.
Or did you find a definitive bottom of the bulb?
The mushroom is exhibiting the “yellowing syndrome” described here:
This “syndrome” usually appears on species of section Lepidella and has been recorded from Cape Cod to the Gulf Coast. and westward into the Appalachians and, possibly, further west.
The powdery stuff is the part of the universal veil that was between the gills and the stem during the button stage of the mushrooms development.
The spores and other tissues are often very distorted in specimens that exhibit the “yellowing syndrome.”
Maybe we can find some way to figure out what species in involved in the case that you found.
We could look it over; and, maybe someday, someone may be able to get some DNA from it.
Created: 2013-07-05 21:08:36 ADT (-0300)
Last modified: 2013-07-06 01:10:04 ADT (-0300)
Viewed: 51 times, last viewed: 2017-06-16 07:16:19 ADT (-0300)