Observation 172944: Psathyrella candolleana (Fr.) Maire
When: 2014-08-08
No herbarium specimen
0 Sequences

I am looking for some help identifying mushrooms that I found in my flower
bed. Our beloved pet, Toby, an 11 year old yorkie recently went into acute
liver failure and passed away on Tues Aug 4, 2014. We are heartbroken and
the doctors could not give us a definitive reason for his liver to abruptly fail.

We searched our yard where he loved to play and found 3 mushrooms…one had a little piece bitten out of it. It is our only closure as Toby was
perfectly healthy otherwise.

3 veterinarians reviewed his health records and current symptoms and could only assume the mushrooms were toxic.

I have a photo of the mushrooms and would love help identifying if the mushrooms were toxic. I apologize for the mediocre photo, we were on our way to the animal hospital and I quickly snapped a picture…not realizing I would need it for identification. I thought the vets would automatically know if it was toxic or not.

Any help you can provide is GREATLY APPRECIATED….we are just devastated
and desperately searching for answers. Thank you so much.

Proposed Names

Please login to propose your own names and vote on existing names.

Eye3 = Observer’s choice
Eyes3 = Current consensus


Add Comment
So sorry to hear about your dog
By: Jimmy Craine (doctorghosty)
2014-08-10 03:42:03 CEST (+0200)

I lost my 16 year old dog/best friend 3 months ago so I know how you feel. It was not these mushrooms, though, they are harmless to humans and dogs alike

Thank You
By: Loraine (lporter73)
2014-08-10 03:27:09 CEST (+0200)

Thank you for classifying the mushrooms. I read in the description that they are edible. Does this mean also edible for canines?

I appreciate your help so much. We will feel some closure and peace to know he died of natural causes rather than poisoning.

Created: 2014-08-09 03:31:56 CEST (+0200)
Last modified: 2014-08-10 04:26:27 CEST (+0200)
Viewed: 96 times, last viewed: 2017-11-15 21:06:14 CET (+0100)
Show Log