Main part of main fb is the normal shape, maturing vertically, with a slice of missing peridium exposing the spores, with much of the rim of that “wound” charcoal-colored. It’s from resting on a desk on that surface in an enclosed area overnight. Pressure dissolves the peridium?
Weirdly shaped attached smaller fb’s. Much of the peridium is bumpy (bumps 3-4mm dia.) with darker spots in the middle of each bump.
There was another fb identical other than being correctly shaped (“flattened hemisphere on top of a frustum tapering downward” from obs 181472).
Peridioles (my stage descriptions are less accurate with older obses)
Stage 1. (before 1 in obs 181472)
- Dark olive-yellow spongy mass that, with pressure, easily squishes into black jelly. (Cut section = basically solid black jelly, with olive tint.)
Stage 2. (1 in obs 181472)
- Black & white mottled mass, the white easily turning to yellow when injured, spots streaking outward/upward.
Stage 3. (2 in obs 181472)
- Peridioles become distinct, interiors white. Easily agitated to yellow.
Stage 4. (2 in obs 181472)
- Peridioles now separable.
- Exteriors still white, gaining a slight pink tint (I believe this is metabolite release).
- Interiors still white.
- Medium agitation turns them gold.
Stage 5. (3 in obs 181472)
- Exteriors (white →) gain a pale olive tint.
- Interiors (white →) gain back some yellow.
- Medium agitation still turns them gold.
Stage 6. (3 in obs 181472)
- Exteriors olive powdery, hardly changed by gentle pressure.
- Interiors slightly purplish black jelly.
Stage 7. (5 in obs 181472)
- Exteriors’ olive gains some yellow.
- Interiors turn to brown powder (spores).
Stage 8. (6 in obs 181472)
- Peridiole exteriors & (now dry) jelly hold the spore mass solidly intact. This section is actually tougher than the ones below it.
Stage 9. (7 in obs 181472)
- Peridiole exteriors/jelly fade away with maturity.
- Cottony whisps appear with maturity (from ^?).
- Whisps keep the spore mass vaguely intact, whether or not they’re still contained by the fb peridium.
The smaller attached fb’s are missing one or more stages in 4 – 6!!
|I’d Call It That||3.0||10.81||2||(Pulk,Byrain)|
sum(score * weight) /
(total weight + 1)
Created: 2014-10-04 16:23:24 PDT (-0700)
Last modified: 2014-10-07 16:10:54 PDT (-0700)
Viewed: 33 times, last viewed: 2017-06-18 22:07:03 PDT (-0700)