Collection location: Tumwater, Washington, USA [Click for map]
A very large circular fruiting of Amanita Pantherina-found beneath Douglas fir.
Elevation: Sea level.
Temp: Mid 50’s.
A laughing (Don’t worry, not from eating the mushroom I promise) 4 year old Cash Johnson held his large Panther for scale.
We made sure he washed up well after handling this large FB.
Elevation: sea level.
Temp: mid 50’s.
At only 4 years old this little guy can already recognize chanterelles, Amanitas, artist conks, reishi and Fomitopsis pinicola.
|User’s votes are weighted by their contribution to the site (log10 contribution). In addition, the user who created the observation gets an extra vote.|
|I’d Call It That||3.0||5.94||1||(Hendre17)|
sum(score * weight) /
(total weight + 1)
for the well considered advice
About muscarine, muscimol, ibotenic acid etc. being toxic for kids by just hand to mouth contact. I seem to remember reading some of the original toxicology reports for P. Cyanescens being from a child who had collected them and subsequently passed away… However, I think that the specimens he ate could have also been mixed with Galerina autumnalis or some similar deadly look alike that also loves inhabiting bark chips in urban settings. Either way I figure toxins that could be somehow detrimental to an early developing brain should be handled with care.
Also, being that he’s my friend’s son I figure why not cover all bases and precautions. Handling and appreciating all Amanitas should not be something to fear- I just think unless he’s your own kid or yourself be cautious when handling any possibly toxic fungi.
danger in handling for tots if hands went to mouth before washing, etc?
Created: 2014-11-04 09:31:21 PST (-0800)
Last modified: 2014-11-04 09:35:51 PST (-0800)
Viewed: 84 times, last viewed: 2017-09-10 01:16:15 PDT (-0700)