Observation 20634: Boletus L.
When: 2009-04-25
No herbarium specimen

Notes: This fungi also was in under the native trees that grow lateral braches close to the ground. It is not a perfect specimen by any means but I thought that it was worth showing. The cap was about 70mm across and the stipe in the bulbous section was about 30mm. This boletus was also growing in the sand loam . This particualar reserve adjoins our Australian East Coast sea line. The area is very undulating and there is a small coastal semi-arid rainforest in one valley. There is also a fresh water spring that runs continuously. A lot of the wildlife use it as the water source. The area is a Flora & Fauna protectorate. I forgot to mention that the cap and stipe were dry to touch.

Images

42102
Copyright © 2009 Ian Dodd Kundabung NSW Australia
42103
Copyright © 2009 Ian Dodd Kundabung NSW Australia
42104
Copyright © 2009 Ian Dodd Kundabung NSW Australia
42105
Copyright © 2009 Ian Dodd Kundabung NSW Australia

Proposed Names

-7% (2)
Recognized by sight
44% (4)
Recognized by sight
78% (2)
Eye3 Eyes3
Recognized by sight: See comment.

Please login to propose your own names and vote on existing names.

Eye3 = Observer’s choice
Eyes3 = Current consensus

Comments

Add Comment
There have been
By: Gerhard Koller (Gerhard)
2009-04-29 06:50:17 CDT (-0500)

many little lovely OZzies that have been watching me for sure and I am glad they didn’t attack me for sure too ;)

good observation JH.
By: Debbie Viess (amanitarita)
2009-04-28 19:02:25 CDT (-0500)

yep, some folks get a contact dermatitis from handling suillus sp., but it is pretty rare. uncomfortable if you are that rare individual, tho…

BTW
By: Johannes Harnisch (Johann Harnisch)
2009-04-28 18:01:33 CDT (-0500)

Some folks can’t taste “bitter” flavours …
ps and didn’t I read about some one who could not even touch a certain suillus species? in David Aruras book (MDM)

big molecules
By: Dan Molter (shroomydan)
2009-04-28 17:53:12 CDT (-0500)

Amatoxins are too big to be absorbed through the skin, so it is safe to handle these mushrooms. Smaller molecules like muscarine and psilocybin might be able to make it through the skin, but I’ve never heard of anyone being poisoned just by touching a mushroom.

I handle deadly Galerinas all the time with no ill effect. I even tasted one when I first started hunting. There was not much flavor, I spit it out, and that was that.

As for tasting mushrooms, watch out for the white hot milkies! Some of them pack a disturbing wallop.

ah, amanita paranoia!
By: Debbie Viess (amanitarita)
2009-04-28 17:24:29 CDT (-0500)

actually, some of that paranoia might be justified!

i still contend that tasting (and spitting out) any mushroom is harmless; poisonings are dose dependent. But you certainly don’t want to model that behavior around children or other immature humans, lest they take that as a liberty to swallow a bite.

as to Jason’s question…you know, I would say that there is no harm in just touching a mushroom, altho someone that I knew did feel “funny” after carrying Omphalotus olivascens in their hands for a while (toxin muscarine) and I had a very peculiar acute illness after squeezing phalloides juice with bare hands onto newsprint to perform a Meixner test( you can read all about that whole comedy of errors in my Toxic Sporedrop article in an old issue of Mushroom the Journal). IF it was the amanita that caused my brief (over several hours) flu-like symptoms, it was probably the far more toxic phalloidins, which are normally inactivated in the gut and play no part in oral poisonings. BTW, I will definitely wear gloves next time, and i would recommend that you do, too. At least when bathing in phalloides juice. Just touching an intact mushroom, tho, is NBD.

And of course, as much as I enjoy munching those slimy, dirt covered fungal forms in the field, there are only a few groups where taste is a big part of the ID, like the boletes and russulas and lactarius. no need to put ALL fungi into your mouth, altho some would say you should taste and smell everything. more details for ID are always good, but taste and smell varies so much between people, hard to find a common ground sometimes.

And Gerhard, you might not have seen all of those lovely creatures of OZ, but i’ll just bet that some of them saw YOU! ;)

Can mushroom toxins be absorbed through skin?
By: Jason Hollinger (jason)
2009-04-28 15:58:34 CDT (-0500)

I’ve always wondered about that. If they must be ingested, then tasting could be safe, right?

Okay, you are quite right, Deb
By: Gerhard Koller (Gerhard)
2009-04-28 14:50:13 CDT (-0500)

but don’t recommend even tasting deadly poisonous mushrooms! Never try and taste an Amanita! Ian, all fungi with fleshy pores and tubes and all gilled fungi with splintering lamellae (Russula) or milky exudes (Lactarius only) you can taste without risk … ok, probably almost all except Amanitas and little brownies …
and Debbie, I spent nearly two months in the outback and never met any of those dangerous animals you mentioned …

Ian, “tasting” a mushroom needn’t be a death-defying feat…
By: Debbie Viess (amanitarita)
2009-04-28 10:55:49 CDT (-0500)

it doesn’t take much mushroom for your tongue to taste, and once it determines the flavor, you merely spit it out! We are talking mouse nibbles here, not great gulping bites. Everyone is leery of this at first, and one also selects for mushroom quality in the field before performing this taste test (ie don’t make like your legless lizard friend and take big bites of rotting, maggot-ridden boletes!). Otherwise, no worries, and folks will think that you are terribly brave or extremely foolhardy, all with no risk to you! (this test can even be performed with the deadly mushrooms, altho we generally don’t recommend that folks bite the death angels). And this in an OZ environment rife with deadly snakes and spiders and salt water crocs! and please don’t mention those land leeches…you live in a naturally thrilling paradise my friend. Don’t sweat the small stuff!

Tube color is a good clue . . .
By: Roy Halling (royh)
2009-04-28 08:31:35 CDT (-0500)

Notice the tube color in the 4th image . . . yellow. This is a good clue that it is not a Tylopilus in the broad sense. If the latter, the tube color would be a pinkish flesh color. Furthermore, the white pores appear to be “stuffed”, a term used to describe the young pores in species of Boletus, particularly the “eduloid” group. No, I’m not saying this belongs to the “eduloid” group. I don’t have enough info on it. I believe I did find smaller and more mature material of this thing on Fraser Island in Feb 2009. I await arrival of my vouchers. See #20658.

Tylopilus

Patrick. I am not sure where you live,, but here in Oz I cannot risk tasting anything in the field, because I really am not as familiar with the fungi here as I would like to be to be safely tasting the specimens I find. Most of the time I am alone, and a couple of hours from vehicular roads. Even then I am mostly a couple of hours from any civilisation of any degree. I know this is an important aspect but I cant get anyone to be the guinea pig!

Tylopilus
By: Patrick Harvey (pg_harvey)
2009-04-27 13:01:22 CDT (-0500)

Did you taste it? Was it bitter or not?

Created: 2009-04-26 22:55:18 CDT (-0500)
Last modified: 2010-08-14 23:43:16 CDT (-0500)
Viewed: 231 times, last viewed: 2016-11-07 03:30:41 CST (-0600)
Show Log