Observation 31778: Ascocoryne cylichnium (Tul.) Korf

When: 2009-09-11

Collection location: West of Bovec, East Julian Alps, Posočje, Slovenia [Click for map]

Who: amadej trnkoczy (amadej)

No specimen available

No idea what it could be?

Date: Sept. 11. 2009
Lat.: 46.33486 Long.: 13.53015
Code: Bot_377/2009-3439

Habitat: Mixed woodland, cretaceous clastic rock (flysh), partly protected from direct rain by tree canopies, in shade, average precipitations ~3.000 mm/year, average temperature 8-10 deg C, elevation 435 m (1.450 feet), alpine phytogeographical region.

Substratum: fallen, rotten, mostly debarked trunk of a broadleaved tree (most probably Acer sp. or less probably Quercus sp., not Fagus sylvatica).

Place: West of Bovec, near the trail to Plužna village, East Julian Alps, Posočje, Slovenia EC

Nikon D70 / Nikkor Micro 105mm/f2.8

Species Lists


Motic B1-211A, magnification 1.000 x, oil, in water. These spores probably belong to a basidiomycete and not to the fruitbodies photographed in this observation.
Photographed on January 13. 2010
Photographed on January 13. 2010
Photographed on January 13. 2010
Photographed on January 13. 2010
I put a very small piece of wood with the largest fruitbody (see picture 78009) not turned upside down under a cover. Spores were taken by light rubbing of the fertile surface with a small moist brush and then transported to a slide. Spore dimensions: 23.5 (SD=2.6) x 5.8 (SD=0.5) micr., Q=4.1 (SD=0...
This time I put a single apparently well developed fruitbody (not the largest) turned upside down directly on the slide without any wood. Spore dimensions: 22.4 (SD=2.7) x 5.2 (SD=0.3) micr., Q=4.4 (SD=0.58), n=15 (shown as blue crosses on Figs. 78015 and 78016). Small stuff around the much bigger ...
Here I took a larger piece of wood (length about 2 cm (4/5¨)) with a few (not yet fully developed?) fruitbodies turned upside down. I could not find large spores. Dimensions of small spores observed: 3.4 (SD=0.3) x 1.1 (SD=0.16) micr., n=30. This dimensionally roughly corresponds to Ascocoryne coni...

Proposed Names

28% (1)
Recognized by sight
Based on microscopic features: Spore dimensions: 4,9 (SD=0.5) x 3.6 (SD=0.3) micr, n=30.
85% (1)
Eye3 Eyes3
Recognized by sight
Used references: (1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascocoryne_sarcoides
(2) http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/...
(3) http://www.bioimages.org.uk/html/r133599.htm
(4) http://www.bioimages.org.uk/html/p1/p10272.php
(5) http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Ascocoryne_sarcoides.html
(6) M.Bon, Pareys Buch der Pilze, Kosmos (2005), p 323
(7) Key to ascocryne, H.O. Barak, E.Weber, Oct (2000)
(8) J.Breitenbach, F.Kraenzlin, Eds., Fungi of Switzerland, Vol.1. Verlag Mykologia (1984), p154
(9) D.Arora, Mushrooms Demystified, Ten Speed Press, Berkeley (1986), pp 877 trdi da septate spore, ni dimenzij
(10) email from Mr. Neven Matočec, biologist at Institute Rudjer Bošković, Zagreb, Croatia
(11) personal communication Mr. Gregor Podgornik, NAC (Natural History Center) Tolmin, Slovenia
Based on microscopic features: Spore dimensions: 23.5 (SD=2.6) x 5.8 (SD=0.5) micr., Q=4.1 (SD=0.12), n=23

Please login to propose your own names and vote on existing names.

Eye3 = Observer’s choice
Eyes3 = Current consensus


Add Comment
Additional info
By: amadej trnkoczy (amadej)
2010-02-14 12:05:43 PST (-0800)

Based on expert opinion of Mr. Neven Matočec (Ref (10)) obtained through Mr. Gregor Podgornik, NAC Tolmin that the spores on Fig. 73597 probably belong to a basidiomycete and not to the fruitbodies photographed I revisited almost exactly the same place (within one square inch) of the same log on Jan.13.2010 and took some additional samples. This time the fruitbodies were fully developed (see pictures from 78008 to 78011). To get spore dimensions I used three approaches (see text below the pictures). In each case samples were put on microscope slides along with a piece of wet tissue to prevent drying and covered for about two days and then examined.

Spore dimensions suggest that this observation correspond to Ascocoryne cylichium Also a picture in Ref (8) very well resembles my photos of developed fruit bodies (although this reference categorically denies that macro characters alone can be used for reliable separation A. sarcoides from A. cylichnium). Spores shown on Fig. 73597 contaminated my collection from somewhere else and do not belong to the photographed fruitbodies.

Created: 2010-01-10 13:18:34 PST (-0800)
Last modified: 2012-06-05 15:39:37 PDT (-0700)
Viewed: 290 times, last viewed: 2018-01-28 16:45:51 PST (-0800)
Show Log