Observation 7686: Coprinellus radians (Desm.) Vilgalys, Hopple & Jacq. Johnson
When: 2008-05-01
No herbarium specimen

Notes: These mushrooms are growing on the carpet in one corner of my (newly renovated) rental appartment.
They are small/short on the first day, grow tall/skinny the second day, then die and leave an inky black mark on the third day.
I don’t know how to describe their smell (quite strong), and I’m a little worried whether they’re harmful to my health.
What should I do?

[admin – Sat Aug 14 02:06:37 +0000 2010]: Changed location name from ‘Sydney, Australia’ to ‘Sydney, New South Wales, Australia’

Proposed Names

62% (3)
Eyes3
Recognized by sight: Known to grow on wet wood indoors, such as in bathrooms.

Please login to propose your own names and vote on existing names.

Eye3 = Observer’s choice
Eyes3 = Current consensus

Comments

Add Comment
Not dangerous
By: Nathan Wilson (nathan)
2008-06-05 01:46:00 CDT (-0400)

I’m not aware of any toxic Coprinellus species and some are known good edibles, but in this case as David Arora says in Mushrooms Demystified, “who knows, who cares?”. Just in case you are looking for more info on this species, it used to be known as Coprinus radians.

Created: 2008-06-05 00:22:24 CDT (-0400)
Last modified: 2011-02-15 03:24:10 CST (-0500)
Viewed: 130 times, last viewed: 2016-11-11 18:37:41 CST (-0500)