Notes:
I found this 3 specimen growing evidently (no other possible tree species around) in association with Castanea sativa (spanish chestnut) along a path in the middle of C. sativa wood at given GPS coordinates.
All the three specimen are being dried and saved.

Species Lists

Images

20140802_121818.jpg
20140802_121615.jpg
20140802_113555.jpg
20140802_113550.jpg

Proposed Names

ret
82% (1)
Based on chemical features: nrITS fragments

Please login to propose your own names and vote on existing names.

= Observer’s choice
= Current consensus

Comments

Add Comment
This taxon has another curious thing.
By: R. E. Tulloss (ret)
2019-07-03 21:08:40 PDT (-0700)

Another fragment of the DNA is accessible. It contains the complete 5.8S sequence with fragments of ITS1 and ITS2 attached. The opening terminal segment of the 5.8S sequence is ATAACTTTCAACAAC, which is a rare variant in my experience. In addition, the closing terminal segment is a variant that I have never before seen in section Vaginatae. Instead of ending CATTAAA, it ends CATAAAA. The peculiar sequence is shared with the voucher material of MO #172698. I conclude that it is quite possible that the two observations feature the same organism. Hence, we propose the temporary code “sp-ITAL02.”

Very interesting material. Curious, fragmentary, but identifiable (at the moment) nrITS.

Very best,

Rod

We will list this material on the technical tab of the WAO site’s penetratrix page.
By: R. E. Tulloss (ret)
2019-07-02 14:36:49 PDT (-0700)

I call the group with the TCT… nrLSU 5’ motif the “penetratrix group” because I first found the odd motif in Amanita penetratrix.

Very best,

Rod

We have a fragment of the nrLSU gene 377 characters long.
By: R. E. Tulloss (ret)
2019-07-02 14:33:21 PDT (-0700)

I BLASTed this against GenBank and it is two characters different from a species that I have proposed from California:

http://www.amanitaceae.org?Amanita+castellae

We also have a piece of the nrITS gene as well. In the latter sequence, we noted the the initial characters of nrLSU (which indicates the end of the nrITS gene. The initial string of nrLSU is calle the nrLSU 5’ (five prime) motif. About 70% of the Vaginatae have the motif TTTGACCTCAAATCA. The other 30% have a motif differing in one character—-TCTGACCTCAAATCA. So, I don’t the species, but I know a little bit about it that is interesting. The work is not over. There will be more to tell.

Very best,

Rod

We have received raw data for rDNA from the voucher material for this observation.
By: R. E. Tulloss (ret)
2019-07-01 13:05:54 PDT (-0700)
We will report on our analysis of the data. Thanks for sharing the dried specimen.

Very best,

Rod

Thanks Luca,
By: groundhog
2014-11-25 12:35:12 PST (-0800)

This material has been received and accessioned to Rod’s herbarium. We have also scheduled it for DNA sequencing.
Thanks,
Naomi

Thank you, Luca.
By: R. E. Tulloss (ret)
2014-08-13 04:25:31 PDT (-0700)

Very best,

Rod

Specimens fully dried and ready to send
By: Luca Pasquali (luca)
2014-08-12 22:55:46 PDT (-0700)

This specimens were saved correctly, I can spare one part from each two mature specimens

Hello, Luca.
By: R. E. Tulloss (ret)
2014-08-02 07:05:27 PDT (-0700)

An interesting grouping.

I’m glad you dried the collection. Can you spare part of it (including the mature specimen) for me to examine?

Very best,

Rod