|User’s votes are weighted by their contribution to the site (log10 contribution). In addition, the user who created the observation gets an extra vote.|
|I’d Call It That||3.0||5.59||1||(Noah)|
sum(score * weight) /
(total weight + 1)
I wouldn’t risk it with anything for which there’s a strong suspicion of poisonousness already. (Actually, I, personally, wouldn’t risk it at all.)
To echo what Debbie is saying, you don’t have anything to worry about if you take a small bite of any mushroom, chew it and spit it out. As long as you don’t swallow it you will be fine… except for some of these acrid lactauius.
Lactarius rufus is one that gets me a lot, we have a few boring brown lactarius here in the northeast, most mild, so first thing I do when I’m trying to identify one is taste it. If I’m running around with my tongue hanging out it’s rufus, (if it’s mild I’m usually banging my head ageist the wall trying to figure out what it is)
whenever people ask me if L. deceptivus is edible I have them touch their tongue to the latex, they usually stop asking after that.
altho with those highly acrid lactarius species, a teeny tiny nibble, chew and spit is all, and sometimes more, than you need!
for some reason, everyone at Highlands kept trying to get me to taste the outrageously acrid Lactarius peckii, one of those mushrooms that coats your tongue and stays with you all day! ha ha myco-pranksters!
I wouldn’t dare. Particularly not since a milky with yellow or clear-turning-yellow latex is often poisonous.
Yes it was acrid
it was mixed woods; Red Oak, beech, Eastern Hemlock and White Pine
Ah, under oaks with these? Were there no pines around? I see you’ve gone for the single ‘r’ spelling.
Created: 2008-10-07 20:25:22 CDT (-0400)
Last modified: 2010-06-27 21:33:52 CDT (-0400)
Viewed: 72 times, last viewed: 2017-06-05 04:15:37 CDT (-0400)