Collection location: Beaverton, Washington Co., Oregon, USA [Click for map]
[admin – Sat Aug 14 01:58:24 +0000 2010]: Changed location name from ‘Beaverton, Oregon Washington County’ to ‘Beaverton, Oregon, USA’
|User’s votes are weighted by their contribution to the site (log10 contribution). In addition, the user who created the observation gets an extra vote.|
|I’d Call It That||3.0||7.70||2|
sum(score * weight) /
(total weight + 1)
Thank you Debbie for your kind assistance in this identification. I had no idea where to start or what to even look for. This is a great site and my compliments to all who frequent it and are the “Experts” to us laymen out here. Thanks again, Happy Morelling……
this one can be seriously toxic, but only if you eat it! (or breathe the cooking fumes…)
Here is 2 more pictures.
Some years ago I found an unusally large batch of verpa species big ones
I dried lots of them and even through some out because of their bad reputaiotion…. I dried several quarts wea ate them even thought they have a bad reputation ….nod bad effects they were Good!!
as would be the case with grazing kids and pets. yes, i am aware that some folks will cook and eat verpa, altho others can have some weird rxns. even with cooked ones.
but with that rather fat and low-growing form in the grass, it is much more likely to be a gyromitra anyway…
Verpa bohemica gets such an unfortunate reputation around here! Every one talks about how it makes lots of people sick up here but I have never heard of anyone who has actually gotten sick from it. It probably isn’t a good idea to eat it raw, but then again the same is said of all wild mushrooms. I know of two people who ate a decent amount raw, and besides not tasting very good, they suffered no adverse effects.
also, cut them in half lengthwise.
from the top they look an awful lot like Gyromitra esculenta, which is in fact a toxic mushroom, and like the morels which they somewhat resemble, follow the snowmelt…another possibility is Verpa bohemica, another toxic when raw mushroom that follows the snow.
neither would be good for pets or kids to munch.