Collection location: Howarth Park, Santa Rosa, Sonoma Co., California, USA [Click for map]
I’ve seen these mushrooms growing in the hollow of dead madrone a few times but this was the first time I was able to get a photo. It seems to match both Arora’s description of this mushroom and the numerous images found through Google.
- Spore print is probably white—very few spores were released
- Gills are yellow, thick and widely spaced
- Although it’s not obvious from the photo, the stems are bright yellow (they’re translucent) and about .5 mm wide
- Caps are minutely velvety. The biggest one is 7 mm across
- Total height of the largest one is 2.6 cm