Collection location: La Selva Beach, Santa Cruz Co., California, USA [Click for map]
Who: Brian (triguybri)
Found growing in clusters under Live Oak. Smells vaguely & pleasantly of maple &(mushroomy). No spore print (or white). Noticed no bruising with handling or cutting.
|User’s votes are weighted by their contribution to the site (log10 contribution). In addition, the user who created the observation gets an extra vote.|
|I’d Call It That||3.0||0.00||0|
sum(score * weight) /
(total weight + 1)
but believe me, once you reach the obsessive state of most of us who post here, you’ll be happily nibbling those shrooms, too!
taste is an important feature in many mushroom identifications. you don’t taste the rotten ones, or bite bugs, and dirt is easily brushed off. How many here ascribe to the 5 second rule, anyway? if your food has only been on the floor for 5 seconds, do you still eat it?
the more minor stuff like this that you can expose your immune sysstem to, the healthier overall you will be! no need to be boys and girls in a bubble, thank heavens.
And it isn’t the possibility of mushroom toxicity that bothers me so much as the fact that the thing is (probably) dirty, slimy, unhygienic, and simply potentially foul-tasting. What kind of bacteria might be crawling on it? Bug eggs and other potential parasites? I’d hate to get some sort of infection. :)
a little nibble if you spit it out wont harm you a lot of info can be gleamed by taste and odor of various mushrooms.
This observation was last week. I’m new & would not think to taste ANY of my finds yet. But I had a hunch this one might be good. There was a patch of maybe hundreds!
Created: 2010-01-17 18:21:13 CST (-0500)
Last modified: 2010-07-30 10:16:50 CDT (-0400)
Viewed: 55 times, last viewed: 2017-06-06 10:13:43 CDT (-0400)