Collection location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma Co., California, USA [Click for map]
10/14/07: On return visits I’ve found that the smell is of almond, quite strong when I open the vial I brought them home in. Also, the gills are definitely free, never attached. They have been continuously fruiting since first sighted.
Any chance these are Marasmius oreades? I’m not sure what “nearly free” gills would look like and have seen no mention of the almond smell.
Found in a small troop on a well-watered lawn. Although pretty dry when found they remoisturized nicely.
The larger one had a faint smell of cedar (?). Total height of larger one is 64mm, the smaller one is 42mm tall.
Pileus feels thick, is sturdy, and bruises a darker shade of the original color, easily. Small one is 15mm across, large one is 38mm.
Gills are free, thick and rather waxy, pallid when young and turning a pale tan when older.
Stipe is solid and same color as the pileus. It seems to darken with age, at the base. Small one is 4mm across, large one is 5mm.
Surprisingly, to me, the spore print was white. I tried to key them in Arora and got to Clitocybe but nothing really fit. I’d appreciate any suggestions.
…but it sounded like these were a bigger than that and since several other suggestions were already on the table, I figured others had eliminated that for some reason. However, the ‘in situ’ shot sure looks like them to me. However, I’ve never noticed an almond odor.
Not sure, with the cedar odor you could be looking at a Hygrophorus. But it also could be Clitocybe. But the with the free gills, neither of those really fit. Then you get into the Collybia/Gymnopus area, which these more have the look of, but all these small, thin, white spored, but not Mycena stuff just confuses me. (But, like the Mycena stuff doesn’t confuse me… but at least you can usually say, ah, Mycena there.)
It would nice to compare to Denise Gregory’s thesis, but I’m not sure you can get a copy of this yet…
One thing, I kinda have a need for interesting stuff to put under the microscope in the mycology class. I could use the dried material here, and put it under the scope, and see what microscopic details come up. Probably still won’t get any better, but I could add some microscopic details to the observation…