Collection location: near Charlotte, North Carolina, USA [Click for map]
What is this? Is it edible? The biggest one is 5" in diameter.
[admin – Sat Aug 14 02:03:31 +0000 2010]: Changed location name from ‘Near Charlotte, nc. In yard out in the open sun.’ to ‘near Charlotte, North Carolina, USA’
|User’s votes are weighted by their contribution to the site (log10 contribution). In addition, the user who created the observation gets an extra vote.|
|I’d Call It That||3.0||14.86||3||(AmatoxinApocalypse,amanitarita,Mycowalt)|
sum(score * weight) /
(total weight + 1)
without that knowledge beforehand, they do indeed appear delicious looking to many, hence their role in the vast majority of mushroom poisonings across North America.
Plus, so convenient growing in one’s own lawn! ;)
I am not advocating eating them, just acknowledging that they can indeed be tempting to the fungignorant. Which is where a site like MO can come in very handy to those first starting out.
When young the “green gills” mushroom looks like it would be a great edible, smells good to. But once those gills turn green I just imagine my stomach and face turning that color :(
which is why this mushroom is the number one cause of non-fatal mushroom poisoining in the US. Take a spore print (molybdites has green spores at maturity) to tell the difference between C. molybdites and Chlorophyllum rachodes, an edible lookalike.
This mushroom is poisonous, it causes sever gastric disturbances.
Created: 2010-07-22 07:19:19 PDT (-0700)
Last modified: 2011-05-23 20:06:01 PDT (-0700)
Viewed: 120 times, last viewed: 2018-05-20 21:25:19 PDT (-0700)