Observation 49526: Boletus gertrudiae Peck

When: 2010-08-02

Collection location: Hadlyme, Connecticut, USA [Click for map]

Who: Bill (boletebill)

No specimen available

I have little doubt this mushroom is mistaken frequently for both Boletus variipes and Boletus nobilis which it closely resembles. it also resembles old specimens of Xanthoconium seperans. I picked about 100 of these yesterday and only about 10 had the golden zone at the apex of the stipe. The flesh of these is very thin, they are all tubes. This is named for Gertrude Wells a turn of the 20th century painter from my town of Lyme CT

[admin – Sat Aug 14 02:00:59 +0000 2010]: Changed location name from ‘Hadlyme. CT’ to ‘Hadlyme, Connecticut, USA



Proposed Names

76% (5)
Eye3 Eyes3
Recognized by sight: the golden colar at the stipe apex is the best feature for this look-alike to B. nobilis.
Used references: Ernst Both, RBB big book boletes
60% (2)
Recognized by sight

Please login to propose your own names and vote on existing names.

Eye3 = Observer’s choice
Eyes3 = Current consensus


Add Comment
Top of stalk color change
By: John Plischke (John Plischke)
2017-05-07 14:06:08 WIB (+0700)

It appears from what I can tell from the photos the mature ones seem to have the yellow band around the top if the stalk but the younger ones do not. This year I am going to have to let some nobilis age at home and see if they get the yellow band or not. I would not rule out that there is a chance that they boht grow intermixed in the area. I know a spot where separans and nobilis grow together and 80 percent of them I can tell apart and the other 20 percent seem to intermix and I have no clue.

By: I. G. Safonov (IGSafonov)
2017-05-07 09:00:07 WIB (+0700)

I think the distinctions are there, at least on paper, but they need to be supported by DNA sequencing.
There is a reason for my recent vote on your obsie – take a look at obs 255268 (apparent gertrudiae) and obs 255270 (apparent nobilis). Both have the same LSU sequence. Does this mean they are the same species or that they are different and just happen to share the same DNA trace? Is gertrudiae a bona fide taxon or just a morphological variant of nobilis?
I think these and related questions can be successfully tackled with additional genetic research.

At this point I’m not sure there’s any
By: Bill (boletebill)
2017-05-07 08:04:12 WIB (+0700)

meaningfull taxonomic distinction between B. nobilis and B. gertrudiae so I won’t disagree with Igor’s suggestion

Created: 2010-08-03 09:08:23 WIB (+0700)
Last modified: 2017-11-23 09:22:15 WIB (+0700)
Viewed: 320 times, last viewed: 2018-08-06 05:11:24 WIB (+0700)
Show Log